Top five tips to help you get you started to care your curly lace wigs
1. Always wash your curly lace wigs on a mannequin head (a polystyrene/Styrofoam head is fine). This gives you complete control over the procedure instead of having to guess if you’re washing it correctly.
2. Use a shampoo for dry/damaged hair or for chemically treated hair if the curls are not naturally from the donor (make sure it’s suited for colored hair if you’re wig is colored in any way – if you’re not sure if it is, use one just in case).
3. Never brush curly hair when it’s dry, as this causes frizz which over time damages the hair. Brush only when wet and only with a Denman brush or better still a wide tooth comb. You can use a large tooth comb when it’s dry but don’t comb it more than twice in a day – too much combing causes shedding and frizzing of your curly wig.
4. Never use products with mineral oils on your curly wig. A water based moisturizer that can be sprayed is best. Or better still make up your own by mixing one third glycerin – an ingredient that draws water into your hair to keep the moisture balance – and two thirds water.
5. Don’t straighten the hair more than twice per month as this can damage the hair – ideally don’t straighten it at all as it’s human hair and will break with prolonged extreme heat. If you do straighten, use a low heat setting and never use a blow dryer.
View more curly wigs: